Things you should know before reading this blog:

Things you should know before reading this blog:
Bikram yoga is hard. I know I'm weakling and whine about everything but this is seriously not some girly cop-out excuse for exercising. Its not for the faint of heart! Bikram yoga, commonly known as hot yoga, earned it's name. Over the course of 90 minutes there are 26 postures (each is done twice) that are practiced in 105-110 degree studios with speaking instruction from a certified Bikram teacher. If you weigh yourself before and after a class, you're likely to see a 3-5 pound difference. Granted, its just water weight, but still that's a lot of sweat. By the end of class, you'll look like you just took a shower. Not only is it extremely hot in the room but the postures themselves are hard. When I begin my first class, there will probably only be 5 or 6 postures I can hold correctly without taking "beginners shortcuts" (bent knees, unlocked elbows, shortened stretches, etc). It takes so much strength, endurance, and patience to do things like kick your foot over your head and hold it there for thirty seconds without falling & knocking everyone in the room down like a domino. I'll get there... hopefully. In the meantime I'll be the tall brunette laying flat on the mat like a dead man, sweating my ass off.

So what's a 30 day challenge?
A 30 day challenge is the Iron Man of Bikram. Basically it entails daily practice, every single day, consecutively, for thirty days. By agreeing to a 30 day, you're agreeing to never miss a class. Ever. Now, the yoga community is pretty understanding that maybe there might be something during your 30 days that comes between you and your yoga class. Miss a class? Fine. Take 2 the next day to make up for the one you missed. Good luck with that. My 30 day starts Jan 31 and ends on Mar 1.

Why am I documenting this?
Well I wanted a way to see how much progress I'll make by the end. I dont think my fellow yoga do-ers would appreciate me bringing a friend into yoga to take pictures for me... Nor do I particularly want my picture taken in the hot room (talk about unflattering) so I'll keep track of everything via this blog. But of course its also just so you, my lovely family and friends, can follow me through the ups, downs, bends, and twists of my very own 30 day challenge. Really, I'm so excited to watch my own personal progress through improving the postures and gain all the health benefits that Bikram is so famous for. Yes I'm somewhat forced to keep record of this so I can present my results in June but I'll try my best and keep it interesting despite all the whining and moaning that's bound to happen. Good, bad, and ugly.. What's the worst that can happen in 30 days??

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 18

Fantastic.
Sundays they only have 8:00, 10:00, and 4:00 so I chose to do 10:00 because I knew I had plans tonight and the 4:00 would interfere with that.. Unfortunately 10:00am is almost just as bad as 8:00 when you've had no sleep and have to wake up at your friends house at 8:00 to make it home in time to change and get to class. Fortunately, it snowed again (not) and so I got to once again brush snow off my car and fishtail the whole way there. Yay!
Class was packed.. The humidity was so high that she turned on the fans almost immediately which is unheard of. It was hot and stuffy and I felt like everyone was sweating on me. I hate when classes are super full and everyone is like ontop of one another. Its not pleasant. I was close to the side window so at the very end during final savasana when Jess opened the window literally a gust of snow and wind blew into the room on me.. I can honestly say this is the first time i've ever jumped up to leave the hot room because I was too COLD! Ugh. 12 days to go but still 14 classes because of the two doubles I need to do..

No comments:

Post a Comment